LOEWENSTEIN HOSPITAL A special fundraising day will take place on 25.11.2018
Telephone 09-7709030 054-6474122
Attached is the program to expand the children's school at the Loewenstein Hospital!
A special fundraising day will take place on 25.11.2018 live on radio 100 FM for expansion of the educational center at the Loewenstein Hospital in parallel to the increase in hospitalized patients!
The educational center at the Loewenstein Hospital is a recognized and official educational center of the Ministry of Education, affiliated with the Department of Rehabilitation of Children and Youth and serves the population of hospitalized children aged 3-18 years.
The educational center is an integral part of the department and the rehabilitation process that each child undergoes.
All the children hospitalized in the department for rehabilitation study in parallel with the medical and paramedical treatments, in accordance with the Children with Disabilities Law (2001).
- Ages 3-18 years.
- The population of hospitalized children:
o Central nervous system: brain and spinal column
o Bone tumors
o Secondary complications of oncological treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
o Acquired brain injuries secondary to:
o Secondary head injuries to a road accident or falling from a height
o Brain events
o Anoxic brain damage secondary to resuscitation due to drowning, heart blood, etc.
o Autoimmune diseases
o Infectious diseases that affect the central nervous system
o Spine injuries are acquired secondary to:
o Traumatic injuries
o Autoimmune diseases
o Vascular events
o Complex orthopedic injuries:
o Amputation of limbs
o Multiple fractures in several areas of the body
o Bone surgeries such as limb extension
o Surgery for children with polio resection including tendon extension, reduction of spasticity using Dorsal Rhizotomy or Baclofen pumps
o Peripheral nerve diseases
o Genetic and metabolic diseases.
Children studying at the center suffer from disabilities due to these injuries, which include:
o Cognitive Disabilities
o Motor and sensory impairments
o Speech disorders in speech communication
o Swallowing disorders
o Behavioral changes
o Emotional problems
The Vision of the Educational Center:
The Beit Lowenstein Rehabilitation Educational Center aims to return the hospitalized student to a healthy normative system (in various sectors) while addressing his/her cognitive, educational, emotional and social needs. All these, by maintaining educational continuity, maintaining contact with the educational framework in the community, while adapting a personal educational program.
The team enables each student to express his/her skills, abilities and feelings in a variety of ways while strengthening his/her "healthy self".
All these are held in full cooperation with the multi-disciplinary staff in the Children's Department (regular staff meetings, meetings of sector leaders, consultations according to need, regular weekly update meetings with the department director, etc.).
The staff of the Educational Center (19):
o School principal (1)
o School counselor (1)
o The teaching staff of special education teachers from different sectors (5).
o Professional teachers who submit to matriculation during hospitalization according to the student's needs (3).
o A rehabilitation sports teacher (1).
o Emotional caregivers in expression and creativity from the different sectors (3).
o Assistants (4).
o Service (1).
Pedagogical rationale, principles and guiding values:
- The educational center operates according to the holistic approach and as an integral part of the overall rehabilitation treatment of the hospitalized child.
- The rehabilitation process includes the medical, emotional, educational, physical and social aspects, in cooperation between the various therapeutic teams, and contributes to the success of the overall rehabilitation process.
- The educational center in the rehabilitation department is a healthy normative compass within the patients, the pain and the crisis of the disease.
- The study rooms constitute an educational-learning environment that arouses interest and is rich in various technological and artistic means.
- Educational-learning activities are designed to help the child cope with a state of illness and continue rehabilitation while working on skills that have been damaged, strengthening self-confidence, accepting the variability and returning to normal functioning as much as possible.
- The Loewenstein Educational Center believes and works through innovation, entrepreneurship, and teamwork and coping with changes.
- The Loewenstein Educational Center is in constant contact with the student's previous educational framework and leads the integration back into the community for discharge from the hospital, including:
o Training of the family and the student.
o Contacting the Department of Education in the Authority, including placement and placement committees, and community colleges.
o Training the staff of the receiving educational framework.
o Physical preparation of the educational framework in the community for the re-integration of the student.
o Emotional preparation of the student and of the students in the receiving class prior to integration.
- The Levinstein Educational Center operates a control system to receive feedback about the student's integration into the community.
- Building a personal education program - monitoring and controlling student progress.
- Promoting meaningful learning that will lead to scholastic achievements and self-realization.
- Closing educational gaps of all ages in the core subjects and preparing and submitting matriculation examinations in various subjects.
- The education system will be adapted to the 21st century digital age.
- Coping with families in crisis.
- Transition program integration and follow-up of students after hospitalization. Working meetings with community-based teams in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team / strengthening and sharpening the transition program for effective integration of the student in the educational framework in the community.
- Empowering the student in coping with the irregularities and variance due to the trauma he/she experienced through individual therapy and treatment of groups in the age group, such as drama groups, adolescent discourse and more.
- Building an array of experiential activities during vacations, integrating teaching in the core subjects.
- Organizing a group of activities during the year for joint activities for children and parents.
- Each year, a major project was chosen to accompany the students and staff throughout the year. For example, this year a photography project was chosen, which culminated in an exhibition at the Raanana Music Arts Center.
The educational center is facing an expansion process in order to absorb additional students in light of the increasing number of hospitalized children in the department.
To do this we need:
1) Increase the educational center area: about 300 meters gross
- 6 Individual study rooms
- Emotional care rooms
- An executive room
- A secretary room
- A teachers room with kitchenette
- Services suitable for children with special needs.
- A meeting room for events and rehabilitative sports activities.
Estimated cost: 1,500,000 NIS
- Study Tables - 12 (in different sizes)
- Chairs - 30 (in different sizes)
- Computer- 9
- Closets- 7
- Cabinets with drawers - a total of 25 drawers
Estimated cost: 100,000 NIS
We hope that you heed to our request. Any contribution is welcome.