Art & Culture
- Written by Talma Gotteiner
The multicultural city of Haifa, is celebrating its 25th anniversary of the 'Festival of Festivals', a combined event gala of all the major religious holidays together since chronologically they all occured within a few days of each other.
The "Festival of Festivals" will take place throughout December with most activities scheduled over weekends from Thursday-Sunday.
- A nature tour 'From Black to Green'
- Beit HaGefen Theater
- The House of Grace
- Lunch at 'Garden' and Dessert at 'Douzan' in the German Colony
A Nature Tour 'From Black to Green'
Two years ago, the neighborhod of Romema in Haifa suffered from a wave of fires that turned all the open space in the neighborhhod from green to charred black. After several months of restoration, the festival of festivals is hosting a new tour for the first time, led by agronomists Hanoch Burger and Khaled Hamoud through the new path telling the story of the restoration.
Beit HaGefen Theater
'Beit HaGefen' is an Arab - Jewish Cultural Center that is located in the heart of the German colony. This year 'Beit HaGefen' will inaugurate a new space of activity, "The Third Space: A Space for Art and Education". The space is the new wing of the Beit Hagefen Gallery, which will offer the audience experiences that combine works of art and activities focusing on life skills in a multi-cultural society.
In general, aside from the gallery, several concerts will be held at Beit HaGefen as well as three free Arabic lessons accompanied by music played on a Kanun/Qanun (a string instrument) led by Avshalom Farjun. Some of the events will be open to the public for free and others require advance purchasing of tickets. Also, 'Beit HaGefen' will be included in some of the festival tours.
The House of Grace
The 'House of Grace' is the term for a kind social project taking place in the first Greek Catholic cathedral located in the heart of the German Colony. The project, envisioned by an Arab Christian family is aimed at rehabilitation of released prisoners before they return to society. The main hall of the cathedral is still used for prayers and concerts, but the back end has been turned into a hostel. The father of the family and founder of the project, Kamil Shehade has recently had a plaza named after him in honor of his important contribution to society. Fortunately, the family continues his work. We met his son Jamal as well as one of the tour guides, Ulfat Haider who will be leading a women's tour that will pass through the 'House of Grace'.
Lunch at 'Garden' and Dessert at 'Douzan'
If you like trying modern updates to traditional food, you'll enjoy these two neighboring restaurants located in the German Colony.
Our meal at 'Garden' consisted of delicious dishes such as meat or cheese filled giabettas, kebabs baked in a pan sealed under a layer of pita bread and grilled eggplant salad with Labane cheese decorations. The owner Tair Halifa wecomes you.
At 'Douzan' we were welcomed to a few mouth-watering desserts: chocolate cream cake, a raspberry cheesecake and owner Fady's special Malabi. Fady also welcomes you.
The best news is that all the information is availabe in English on the festival website. 22222222222222http://haifahag.com/?lang=2
For additional related articles, please refer to the article on the author's website:
Photos Credit Beit HaGefen
- Written by Talma Gotteiner
The Moscow's Circus on the Ice performance of "The Snow Queen" for Hanukkah. This breathtaking experience includes virtuoso figure skating on an ice rink, acrobatics, costumes, spectacular circus stunts and real snow falling on stage in an all-family theatrical circus show based on the magical legend "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Andersen.
WHEN: Hanukkah 2018, between 30 Nov 2018 - 11 Dec 2018 in theaters throughout the country
The show is held in 12 cities around the country from 30.11.18 - 11.12.18: Beer Sheva, Rishon LeZion, Tel-Aviv, Ashdod, Petah Tikva, Herzliya, Jerusalem, Kiryat Motzkin, Haifa, Karmiel, Kfar Saba and Modi'in.
The previous performances of "The Ice Circus from Moscow" presented in Israel: "Alice from Wonderland on Ice" and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on Ice", were a huge success and impressed Israeli viewers with their originality, unique stunts, and magical atmosphere. "The Snow Queen" is the most successful show of the circus and has become a worldwide hit.
This coming Hanukkah will bring its enchanting version of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" to a number of stages across the country. The show is a combination of virtuoso ice skating, acrobatics, breathtaking circus stunts, sonic effects, original costumes and real snow falling on stage that make the classical legend an impressive celebration that will leave no observer indifferent. The show will be accompanied by vocal narration in Hebrew.
The eternal struggle between good and evil and the victory of the warmth of a loving heart over indifference and cold is in line with the Hanukkah tradition that symbolizes the prevailment of light over darkness.
You can see a trailer of the show below:
Dates of Performances:
Beer Sheva, the Performing Arts Center - Great Hall, Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:00
Rishon Lezion, Heichal Meir Nitzan Center for Culture and Art, Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 18:00
Tel Aviv-Jaffa, the Performing Arts Center, Saturday Dec 1, 2018 at 11:00
Ashdod, the Performing Arts Center, Monday, Dec 3, 2018 at 11:00
Petach Tikva, The Mann Auditorium, Tuesday, Dec 4, 2018 at 17:30
Herzliya, Performing Arts Center, Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 17:30
Jerusalem, Jerusalem Theater for the Performing Arts, Friday, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:00
Kiryat Motzkin, Theater Hall, Friday, Dec 7, 2018 at 18:00
Haifa, Rappaport Center - Auditorium, Saturday, Dec 8, 2018 at 11:00
Karmiel, The Narkan Cultural Center, Saturday, Dec 8, 2018 at 18:00
Kfar Saba, The Mann Auditorium, Beit Yad Labanim, Sunday, Dec 9, 2018 at 17:30
Modi'in, Heichal Hatarbut Modiin Maccabim Reut, Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 17:30
Netanya, Municipal Culture Hall, Tuesday, Dec 11, 2018 at 18:00
Duration: an hour and a half, including a break
Ticket Price: 145 NIS - 235 NIS
Reservations can be made by phone at 072-2753221 or *3221 or 076-54696962 and on theHebrew website.
To read the full article: https://www.israel-best-trips.com/
- Written by Buzzy Gordon
and Offers Free Half-Year Membership
Kfar Hamaccabiah, the largest private sports club in Israel, recently unveiled its newly expanded and upgraded its facilities and announced a special membership promotion: acquire a membership for a year and receive an extra six months free.
Among the facilities the club provides are:
-- Five (5) swimming pools, two of which are covered and heated
-- A world-class fitness facility
-- Fourteen (14) tennis and basketball courts, plus mini-football fields
-- Studio fitness and exercise classes for all ages, adults, and children
-- The Cube, the new hip-hop exercise craze devised by Israeli celebrities
-- A new pilates and equipment studio with leading instructors
-- Year-round swimming and tennis academies
-- Green lawns and outdoor playgrounds for children
-- Newly refurbished and modernized locker rooms and spa
In addition to all of the above, Cafe K, a dairy restaurant with a revised, health-oriented menu, will be serving meals seven days a week on the Kfar Hamaccabiah premises.
Management has also announced that studio fitness and exercise classes will now be open to the general public, and the facilities of the club can be hired out for private functions.
About Kfar Hamaccabiah :
- Written by Talma Gotteiner
Puzzleland: launch new Games for Hanukkah and Christmas
New games available at Puzzleland an Israeli chain that specializes in puzzles and brain games. In Israel, all the games come with dual-language instructions. The launch took place in their store at Dizengoff Center Tel-Aviv.
Puzzleland is currently launching Thinkfun's thinking games - known as leaders of fun and challenging games. The games are suitable for children and adults.
One of the most prominent games that is a cornerstone among the thinking games are:
Rush HourTM (sold in three versions - a junior, an adult and a two-player version), which provides skills of planning, strategy, and special perception. The purpose of the game is to free the red car from the traffic jam. Suitable for ages 8+. Consumer Price: 99-119.90 NIS.
To read the full article: https://www.israel-best-trips.com/single-post/2018/11/14/Puzzleland-New-Games-for-Hannukah
Photo Silvia Golan
- Written by Talma Gotteiner
LOEWENSTEIN HOSPITAL A special fundraising day will take place on 25.11.2018
Telephone 09-7709030 054-6474122
Attached is the program to expand the children's school at the Loewenstein Hospital!
A special fundraising day will take place on 25.11.2018 live on radio 100 FM for expansion of the educational center at the Loewenstein Hospital in parallel to the increase in hospitalized patients!
The educational center at the Loewenstein Hospital is a recognized and official educational center of the Ministry of Education, affiliated with the Department of Rehabilitation of Children and Youth and serves the population of hospitalized children aged 3-18 years.
The educational center is an integral part of the department and the rehabilitation process that each child undergoes.
All the children hospitalized in the department for rehabilitation study in parallel with the medical and paramedical treatments, in accordance with the Children with Disabilities Law (2001).
- Ages 3-18 years.
- The population of hospitalized children:
o Central nervous system: brain and spinal column
o Bone tumors
o Secondary complications of oncological treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
o Acquired brain injuries secondary to:
o Secondary head injuries to a road accident or falling from a height
o Brain events
o Anoxic brain damage secondary to resuscitation due to drowning, heart blood, etc.
o Autoimmune diseases
o Infectious diseases that affect the central nervous system
o Spine injuries are acquired secondary to:
o Traumatic injuries
o Autoimmune diseases
o Vascular events
o Complex orthopedic injuries:
o Amputation of limbs
o Multiple fractures in several areas of the body
o Bone surgeries such as limb extension
o Surgery for children with polio resection including tendon extension, reduction of spasticity using Dorsal Rhizotomy or Baclofen pumps
o Peripheral nerve diseases
o Genetic and metabolic diseases.
Children studying at the center suffer from disabilities due to these injuries, which include:
o Cognitive Disabilities
o Motor and sensory impairments
o Speech disorders in speech communication
o Swallowing disorders
o Behavioral changes
o Emotional problems
The Vision of the Educational Center:
The Beit Lowenstein Rehabilitation Educational Center aims to return the hospitalized student to a healthy normative system (in various sectors) while addressing his/her cognitive, educational, emotional and social needs. All these, by maintaining educational continuity, maintaining contact with the educational framework in the community, while adapting a personal educational program.
The team enables each student to express his/her skills, abilities and feelings in a variety of ways while strengthening his/her "healthy self".
All these are held in full cooperation with the multi-disciplinary staff in the Children's Department (regular staff meetings, meetings of sector leaders, consultations according to need, regular weekly update meetings with the department director, etc.).
The staff of the Educational Center (19):
o School principal (1)
o School counselor (1)
o The teaching staff of special education teachers from different sectors (5).
o Professional teachers who submit to matriculation during hospitalization according to the student's needs (3).
o A rehabilitation sports teacher (1).
o Emotional caregivers in expression and creativity from the different sectors (3).
o Assistants (4).
o Service (1).
Pedagogical rationale, principles and guiding values:
- The educational center operates according to the holistic approach and as an integral part of the overall rehabilitation treatment of the hospitalized child.
- The rehabilitation process includes the medical, emotional, educational, physical and social aspects, in cooperation between the various therapeutic teams, and contributes to the success of the overall rehabilitation process.
- The educational center in the rehabilitation department is a healthy normative compass within the patients, the pain and the crisis of the disease.
- The study rooms constitute an educational-learning environment that arouses interest and is rich in various technological and artistic means.
- Educational-learning activities are designed to help the child cope with a state of illness and continue rehabilitation while working on skills that have been damaged, strengthening self-confidence, accepting the variability and returning to normal functioning as much as possible.
- The Loewenstein Educational Center believes and works through innovation, entrepreneurship, and teamwork and coping with changes.
- The Loewenstein Educational Center is in constant contact with the student's previous educational framework and leads the integration back into the community for discharge from the hospital, including:
o Training of the family and the student.
o Contacting the Department of Education in the Authority, including placement and placement committees, and community colleges.
o Training the staff of the receiving educational framework.
o Physical preparation of the educational framework in the community for the re-integration of the student.
o Emotional preparation of the student and of the students in the receiving class prior to integration.
- The Levinstein Educational Center operates a control system to receive feedback about the student's integration into the community.
- Building a personal education program - monitoring and controlling student progress.
- Promoting meaningful learning that will lead to scholastic achievements and self-realization.
- Closing educational gaps of all ages in the core subjects and preparing and submitting matriculation examinations in various subjects.
- The education system will be adapted to the 21st century digital age.
- Coping with families in crisis.
- Transition program integration and follow-up of students after hospitalization. Working meetings with community-based teams in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team / strengthening and sharpening the transition program for effective integration of the student in the educational framework in the community.
- Empowering the student in coping with the irregularities and variance due to the trauma he/she experienced through individual therapy and treatment of groups in the age group, such as drama groups, adolescent discourse and more.
- Building an array of experiential activities during vacations, integrating teaching in the core subjects.
- Organizing a group of activities during the year for joint activities for children and parents.
- Each year, a major project was chosen to accompany the students and staff throughout the year. For example, this year a photography project was chosen, which culminated in an exhibition at the Raanana Music Arts Center.
The educational center is facing an expansion process in order to absorb additional students in light of the increasing number of hospitalized children in the department.
To do this we need:
1) Increase the educational center area: about 300 meters gross
- 6 Individual study rooms
- Emotional care rooms
- An executive room
- A secretary room
- A teachers room with kitchenette
- Services suitable for children with special needs.
- A meeting room for events and rehabilitative sports activities.
Estimated cost: 1,500,000 NIS
- Study Tables - 12 (in different sizes)
- Chairs - 30 (in different sizes)
- Computer- 9
- Closets- 7
- Cabinets with drawers - a total of 25 drawers
Estimated cost: 100,000 NIS
We hope that you heed to our request. Any contribution is welcome.